NCARB has worked with Prometric to create a “test run” resource for candidates preparing to take an online proctored Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) appointment. Through the test run service in your NCARB Record, you can schedule a free, 30-minute trial appointment with Prometric to confirm your computer and testing space meet the requirements for online proctoring.
Before you schedule a test run, be aware of the following:
- The test run is designed to help you identify potential problems with your online testing setup. You should schedule your test run far enough in advance of your actual ARE appointment that you are able to implement a solution or reschedule if necessary.
- You should be prepared to use the exact same setup for your test run appointment that you are planning to use for your actual ARE appointment. It’s also recommended that you take your test run at the same time of day as you plan to take the ARE.
- The test run will operate on Prometric’s ProProctor application, just like the actual exam. Download and install ProProctor prior to your test run appointment.
- During your test run appointment, you’ll go through the ARE check-in process with a real Prometric proctor.
- You’ll also see a short, unscored “quiz” as part of the test run, but you are not required to complete it.
- If you run into technical trouble during your test run, work with Prometric’s technical support using the chat tool on Prometric’s ehelp site for further assistance resolving the issue.
If you find that your computer setup or testing space do not meet the requirements, discuss potential changes with your proctor and refer to NCARB’s Online Proctoring Requirements document for more information. If necessary, reschedule your appointment for a later date to give yourself time to resolve any issues.
How to Schedule a Test Run Appointment
You can schedule your test run by navigating to the “Exams” tab in your NCARB Record and selecting “Schedule Your Test Run” from the Exam Overview page. You will receive some information about the test run before being taken to the Prometric website to schedule your 30-minute appointment. After you schedule your appointment, you’ll receive an appointment confirmation email from Prometric. Hold onto this email—you’ll need it to launch your test run. Your test run appointment information will NOT appear in your NCARB Record. If you have questions about your appointment or need to request another copy of your confirmation email, contact Prometric.
Note: Even if you have approved accommodations for the ARE, please click “No” when asked “Are you pre-approved for testing accommodation(s) for the test you wish to schedule?” Because this is just a trial of your setup and connection, no accommodations are necessary for the test run. This will not impact any approved accommodations for actual exam appointments.